The roof is an important aspect of every home. No matter what size your house is, it must have a sturdy roof. Different materials can be used for the roof. Whether you are building a new home or owning an existing home, the roof that you install will be your capital investment. People choose metal roofing because of its longevity, minimal maintenance, and energy efficiency. Different metals such as aluminum, lead, zinc, copper or galvanized steel can be used in roofs. Just like other roofs, metal roofs have their own pros and cons. Here in this article, we will discuss some of them.
Metal Roofing Pro: Metal roof offers many benefits which include:
- Long live: If a metal roof is installed by an experienced person metal roof the contractor will then last 40-70 years. This period of longevity is far more than the roof of Asphalt. If the metal is of good quality, then you have a long time to fix your roof.
- Durability: Different metals have different levels of sustainability, but all metal roofs can sustain large storms, rain, snow, earthquakes, and summer heat and they won't crack even with winds of 140 miles per hour. Some of them are impact resistant and do not require occasional maintenance. Even though they don't need maintenance, it would be better to inspect the roof of your house after a big storm or earthquake.
- No worries for mold or raccoons: Metal roofing is a safer bet for those who live in humid weather because they are resistant to mold, mildew and mildew. Especially if you live between wooden walls, raccoons won't be able to penetrate metal roofs.
- Secure: The metal roof does not ignite and catch fire during a flame or lightning strike.
- Environmentally friendly: Most metal roofs can be recycled. Even though in 70-80 years, they will lose their quality, but they can still be recycled 100%. They also save energy.
Disadvantages of metal roofing: Despite their pros, even metal roofs have several disadvantages which include the following:
- Affordability: One of the biggest disadvantages of metal roofs is that they are two or three times more expensive than other roofing materials. It should last longer but it can only be ideal if you will always stay in the house.
- Expansion and contraction: Metal roofing is a serious problem, so it is important to hire a good metal roofing contractor who knows how metal roofing materials installed as large panels tend to expand and contract. If they don't allow metal to breathe, your metal roof might not live longer.
- Performance: Installing a metal roof is an important task, if your roof is not installed properly and water builds up anywhere on the roof, it can damage your entire roof. So, renting the best metal roofing contractor even means spending more money.
- Noisy: Metal roofs can be noisy during heavy rain or hail but this can be improved by adding more insulation but that may require more money.